Roads Shining Like River Up Hill After Rain (2017)
Texts compiled by Robert Macfarlane from fragments of poetry by Edward Thomas
SATB and 'cello, 25'
Commissioned by the Oxford Bach Soloists with funds provided by the Hinrichsen Foundation
First performance April 2017, New College Oxford Chapel - Gabriella Swallow and the Oxford Bach Soloists conducted by Tom Hammond-Davies
We Animals Would Like A Word With You (1998)
- Frog Hop
- Circus Lion Gives Evidence
- Goldfish Reflections
- A Reminder From Snake
- Rat Race
Texts by John Agard
Children's choir, soprano, 'cello, 12'
Commissioned by the London Sinfonietta with funds provided by the South Bank Centre
First performance Jan 1998, Festival Hall, London - Holy Trinity School and members of the London Sinfonietta
- Return (text Pablo Neruda)
- Into Leaping Wind (text Denise Levertov)
- White Tender Gleam (text Edith Sodergran)
Choir and strings (also a version with piano), 15'
First performance (first movement only), June 1997, Swindon - Swindon Choral Society and the Bournemouth Sinfonietta conducted by Nicolae Moldoveanu
…round the still earth… (1994)
(a cycle of winter songs)
- News! (text Anon 9th century)
- Flight (text George Johnston)
- The Warm And The Cold (text Ted Hughes)
- As The Manner Is (text 15th century medieval lyric)
- Snow Down (text Edward Thomas)
- Into Leaf (text (Philip Larkin)
Unaccompanied choir SSAATTBB, 25'
Commissioned by the National Youth Choir of Great Britain
First performance Dec 1994, Royal Albert Hall, London - National Youth Choir of Great Britain conducted by Michael Brewer
CD recording: In The Gloom of Whiteness CRCD01